More than anything, I wanted a creative outlet today. One of my favorite things is to find a recipe for something I’ve never made before, get all the ingredients, then see how it turns out. Today’s new recipe is adapted from one of my favorite gluten free blogs, Elana’s Pantry.
One thing I like about gluten free baked goods is that there’s usually a lot of protein in the mix. That means I’m full after one or two bites! An indulgence I can’t go overboard on because a few bites is all I want and need.
Note: this bar is not as sweet as a traditional cookie or candy bar. Feel free to add an extra teaspoon or two of sugar if you have a sweet tooth.
CHOCOLATE ALMOND JOY BARS (GLUTEN FREE)
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup coconut milk (Coconut has healthy fats; I use regular instead of low fat. If you have any left over, it keeps well in either the fridge or freezer.)
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (or 1/2 cup regular sugar)
- ½ cup blanched almond flour (Trader Joe’s is a great source)
- ½ cup coconut flour (Buy as much or as little as you like from the bulk flour bins at your local food coop.)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (might be hard to find in a traditional grocery store. Try Whole Foods or a food coop.)
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, almond extract and sugar
- In a smaller bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt and baking soda
- Mix dry ingredients into wet with a handheld mixer
- Stir in ½ cup of the chocolate chips
- Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking dish
- Pour batter into dish, then sprinkle shredded coconut and remaining chocolate chips on top
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes
- Cool for 1 hour